Are you ready to show off that whiter, brighter smile this holiday season? We are ready for you too! Here is a quick guide to teeth whitening before your next big celebration.
First, you need to know, teeth whitening is not for everyone.
“We recommend whitening treatments to our patients with natural teeth and healthy teeth and gums. If you do not have sensitivity in your teeth and gums, or a receding gumline, then you should not have sensitivity to the bleaching agent used in whitening treatments,” says Dr. Espinosa.
Teeth whitening works well for those who have minor staining on their teeth and those who don’t have previous work done on their front teeth, including dental implants, crowns, caps, etc.
Step 2. Choose the Teeth Whitening Method for You
Next, know the different methods and determine which one is best for you. There are natural home remedies, over the counter whitening strips, and professional treatment plans. We’ve listed a few below. Please know we always recommend you ask your dentist before testing any of these methods on your own.
- Brush with baking soda: It’s a home remedy many have used for ages to scrub away stains. You may add Apple Cider Vinegar to the baking soda mixture, as it also has natural whitening powers.
- Whitening tooth pastes: Most whitening toothpastes contain polishing and chemical agents that remove stains – making your teeth look whiter and brighter. While this won’t happen overnight, you will see results with more uses.
- Teeth whitening strips: Most over-the-counter whitening strips are safe to use. However, it’s important to follow the directions. Don’t use them too often or keep them on longer than recommended.
- Professional whitening trays and gels: While most of these teeth whitening solutions can get your teeth 1 to 2 shades brighter, with a professional teeth whitening kit in our office, you can get your teeth gleaming 3-9 shades brighter. In fact, we are so excited about our teeth whitening kit, we recommend you use between visits. “If you refer three patients to Bonita Del Rey, we will give you custom trays and whitening gel syringe for free, as a token of our appreciation,” says, Jessica (Office Manager)
Step 3. Maintain Your Results
After all that hard work getting your smile perfect, you will want to make sure you’re taking the appropriate steps to keeping it bright. Start with making sure you’re brushing and flossing regularly, good oral hygiene is tried and true for keeping that smile dazzling. But here are some additional tips to maintaining your results.
- Wine is one of the biggest culprits in stained teeth. You may think immediately red, but white contains acids that stain teeth too. Rinse with water after every glass of wine to wash away these staining culprits.
- Coffee, soda, and tea are also tough on your teeth. Similar to wine, remember to rinse with water after drinking.
- Chew on these…foods that act as natural tooth cleaners including celery, apples and carrots. Use them to trigger saliva flow and clean your mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum to produce saliva and cleanse your mouth.
HINT: All of these help to keep your mouth clean and free of food particles that can stain your teeth.
That should do it! Quick, simple, and painless, right? But, if these don’t do the trick, give us a call! We are happy to help you brighten that smile in time for the holidays with our teeth whitening treatment.