Have you ever heard the saying, “you can’t hide behind your smile?” Well, we are about to tell you some interesting facts about just that. While on the surface, your smile may reveal your level of happiness, satisfaction or joy, it can also tell others how you feel about them, your level of determination in life, or what you just ate for lunch (that’s usually if you have something in your teeth).
Check out these interesting facts about smiles, which one is most like you?
Types of smiles
- Tight lip smile – most often used in an uncomfortable situation, a smile with lips pressed tight together may show unease, fear, shyness and/or that your hiding something.
- Smug smile – often comes across as showing superiority or arrogance, but can also be used when a person feels out of their element as well. Interesting this smile can have double meaning, as it’s sometimes used in flirting with others.
- Half smile – this smile tends to show confusion. It’s half happy, half shy, or maybe even sad. It can also show as someone being tired or lazy.
- Open mouth smile – usually comes across as disingenuous or fake, it may be overcompensation or over expression of an emotion.
- Toothy smile – most common when someone is happy, the most genuine and confident smile to have.
Deeper Meaning Behind Your Smile
Smiles are one of the most studied facial expressions, and rightfully so, they say so much. Here is some additional research on deeper meaning behind your smile:
- According to a report by Medical News Today, a woman’s chances of becoming pregnant can depend on how well she takes care of her teeth and gums.
- A fanged canine-teeth smile can tell people how dominant your personality is! “Since the time of the caveman, canine teeth have been the mark of the carnivore, which is why the fang toothed grin is seen as an indication of a dominant personality.”
- Teens who smile more, or are considered “happy” have shown to make more money as adults. One study followed 10,000 participants for ten years starting from teens and ending in their twenties. Findings revealed those who expressed greater happiness or smiled frequently, earned ten percent more than the average person.
- If you smile more regularly, it often means you are less stressed, which means you also have fewer worries and leads to being more fun to be around. These people were found to be better employees, and get more promotions!
- A bright white smile is often seen as a status symbol, so those who have nice white teeth are also seen as successful.
- There was also a study that showed those who had bigger smiles in school photos were proven to have more successful marriages.
Pretty interesting what you can tell from a simple facial expression, right? So, the lesson here…smile more often, you will be happier, healthier and more successful! And our goal at Bonita Del Rey is to make you smile. Call us for a free consultation or second opinion today.
Additional Articles of Interest
The Secret to a Healthier Smile
A bright, beautiful smile is usually a sign of a healthy mouth. Whether you have been blessed with great oral hygiene or you work consistently to keep cavities at bay, there are a few secrets that can help you maintain or improve the health of those pearly whites. Here are some tips Dr. Espinosa likes to relay to his patients. Read More
10 Reasons We’ll Make You Smile
There is nothing more beautiful than a smile! It’s contagious, it can reduce blood pressure, smiling is even considered a form of exercise and studies show, employers are more likely to promote someone who smiles often. We know how powerful a smile can be, and that’s why we want to share. Read More
The Promies of a Smile
Smiling is so much more than a response to something funny. Studies show that smiling, whether forced or not, has a positive impact on your life. A smile can show confidence, compassion, love, commitment and can even improve your business and health. Read More
Follow us on our social channels, Facebook and Google+, to receive more regular updates, special offers, promotions and more! Right now we have a new patient special including a teeth cleaning, exam and x-rays for only $95 (that’s a $200 savings). Call us for more details.
What Others are Saying
Dentist reviews are leading the charge in how we learn about your experience in our practice, and how others view us when making a decision. Thank you to those that have already given their feedback. We know it takes time, and we value and appreciation your input in advance.
5 Stars from Tov’e W.
“I highly recommend this place to anyone. They are so friendly and make you feel comfortable. My family loves coming to this place.”
5 Stars from Jeffrey S.
“I can honestly say this is by far the best dental care I’ve ever received! The staff makes you feel at home, they are just really nice to everyone. Everyone here is very professional and the Dentists are very nice and careful when working with patients. I totally recommend this place!”
5 Stars from Sandra B.
“This is by far the best dental establishment I’ve been to in my entire life. The customer service is exemplary. It’s like being part of an extended family. Everyone is so nice, professional and welcoming. Every employee knows your name, situation and dental plan of care. It is a team effort and approach which is nice and makes you feel like a valued part of the family. They made what I thought was an impossible job to get a great smile possible. Words cannot express the gratitude I feel. I am forever grateful. The precision of dental work, competency of skills, dedication to excellence and impeccable customer service is what makes Bonita Del Rey the top dentistry in San Diego!!!!”